Tuesday, June 9, 2015

5a.m. revising

I'm getting used to getting up at 5a.m. and making a small French press of coffee, firing up the system and working away. Yes! I now have one complete edit of my ms and there will be more to follow. This is enough for now. I want to work both on the micro and macro so I am. My hope is to revise 8 to 10 pages a day but I got behind because I lost the weekend. I'd done everything I could but G. had lost his connection so couldn't send it til Sunday evening. I'm at about page 70 and will work tonight on another ten to twenty pages. I can't be totally accurate as to how long it will take me. Some chapters are not marked up much - others have a forest of comments to wade through.

On the macro side I need to do some characterization work. One fella is practically a ghost, not even saying boo. And there is another I want to give the p.o.v. to for at least one chapter. This is a suggestion by G. and the weird thing is that she had her own chapters during one version of the story but I thought it was too confusing to have so many people with p.o.v.'s. I like it when it is handled right so I guess I'd better learn how. Now's the time. I'm also going to set another chapter or two in Nova Scotia. My gang all up and heads off to New Mexico and then the Grand Canyon but I want a firmer base in the South Shore community they live in so the contrast will be more... uh... contrasty.

Okay, it is after six and I need to get dressed, make my breakfast and my lunch. I'm taking my bike to work this morning. Yee haw.

Here I am on my bike a few days after I got it several weeks ago. You'll be very glad to know the snow is finally gone and beach season has arrived. Kind of.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about getting up early to work, Jan. I do exactly the same thing. There's something I love about the early morning hours; there really is. It sounds as though you're making terrific progress, too. Hope you enjoyed your bike ride :-)

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Ooooh that picture looks cold! Those early morning hours are the best, aren't they? I'm impressed with your dedication, getting up early to write before work, and biking in the snow. Brrr! Glad it's warmed up for you though.

Jan Morrison said...


I didn't get to bike as it was raining by the time I was to set off! My fella (who doesn't work after college lets out in the spring) drove me. I'm a lucky gal.
Our newest program at the treatment centre is going really well too so I'm engaged at every level.

S.P. Bowers said...

I used to get up at five to work. Now I get up at 5-5:30 just to keep up with the day.

Patricia Stoltey said...

I am in awe of your ability to get up that early and be productive, Jan. Good for you! I've been spending my early morning coffee time just reading for entertainment...it takes about an hour for my brain to kick in for anything more creative.

Arlee Bird said...

I'm usually up at about 5 AM. Not necessarily because I want to, but just because I get up at that time and can't go back to sleep.

If you've got a character who is practically a ghost and not even near dead yet then I guess that does mean some fleshing out. Or you could turn it into a ghost story and kill the guy off.


Arlee Bird
A to Z Challenge Co-host
Tossing It Out

Alana said...

Living in upstate New York, I can appreciate a long winter, but I don't know what I would do if our winter was as long as yours. Visiting from the A to Z Road trip.